As you all gear yourselves up to join our Kindness Matters movement, here are my Top 5 Tips for getting the most out of your RAOK experience:
- Start small. It’s a mistake to think that you’ll need to go out and give someone £50 in order to have done something measurable. Do something small, and know that it will have a massive impact at some point.
- Be altruistic. If you’re carrying out an act of kindness in the hope of anything happening in return or for a reward, then you’re doing it for the wrong reasons. Knowing that you’ve done something kind for someone else is all the reward you need to feel good.
- Stay strong. Not everyone you perform a RAOK for will be grateful, and some of them will be downright rude about it (see previous blog), but you need to keep going because at some point, you’re going to make a big change to someone’s day.
- Get in the habit. Science tells us that it takes 21 days of continuous action or motion to form a habit. This means that if you do something (anything) daily for three weeks, it will become a habit and it will ‘stick’, making the whole movement so much easier and more natural for you to immerse yourself in.
- Start now. Acts of kindness don’t always have to be random. If it helps you, get planning some ideas now for what you could go out and do. Make a start, and watch the wonderful consequences of your actions as they begin to unfold.
Good luck to all of you, and don’t forget – one day, you may be on the receiving end of a RAOK!